SANE Creative Awards Scheme
15 September 2021
About SANE’s Creative Awards Scheme
SANE has a long association with the arts, and for many years held a successful awards scheme that provided grants to individuals wishing to further their artistic development. The SANE Creative Awards Scheme builds on this tradition and presents an opportunity for those affected by mental ill-health to take a step towards realising their creative potential.
The scheme aims to improve the quality of life for people with mental health difficulties, their families and carers. The awards may be used to help purchase materials, make a contribution towards course costs and, in the case of carers, offer support towards the cost of replacement care.
There are three levels of awards to apply for – £100, £200 and £300.
In time, the scheme may invite applications for proposals across all art forms, however, for this round, SANE will be accepting applications for visual art only.
For the purposes of the scheme, visual arts encompass all forms of painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, mixed media and digital art.
The Creative Awards Scheme is open to:
- any person who has a diagnosed mental health condition
- anyone acting as a full-time carer for such a person
- individuals who belong to both groups
How to apply:
- Complete an application form – go to bit.ly/SCAS-apply-r3 to download a form.
- write a letter outlining your proposal, your experience of mental illness and how you see an award helping your creative development. Please include a brief description of how your art reflects and communicates your individual experiences.
- please state the level of award you are applying for – £100, £200 or £300.
- include the contact details of a referee – this may be a mental health professional or other relevant person. In the case of a carer, please provide a personal referee.
- please include examples of your previous work where applicable.
- return your completed application form along with a letter stating your reasons for applying and photos of your work either via email or by post.
- please send completed applications to TAndrews@sane.org.uk or by post to Thomas Andrews, SANE, St Mark’s Studios, 14 Chillingworth Road, London, N7 8QJ.
- proposals must be submitted by Thursday 30 September 2021.